Summer Car Care Tips
While summer’s sun and fun are what everyone looks forward to, summer can wreak havoc on your car. It is important to take precautions against the sun and heat. Taking proper care of your car now can save you a headache in the future. Here are our top summer car care tips!
- Fix your AC. Your AC unit is obviously a summer essential. Here in Texas, where it can get so hot you can fry an egg on the asphalt, you definitely don’t want to be stuck with a malfunctioning AC! If you haven’t had yours checked in a while, particularly since winter, it’s a good idea to get it looked at!
- Check your tires. While tires should be checked regularly year round, it is particularly important to get them checked or replaced in summer, as summer high heat and pavement temperatures can easily lead to tire failure. Healthy tires are ones with the correct pressures, free of rocks, stray rubble etc., and with good treads. There should be no cracks, marks, lack of tread depth, or uneven wear. Get your tires checked out—especially if you plan to be doing any summer road trips.
- Flush your coolant. The biggest cause of breakdowns during the summer? Overheating. It’s important that your cooling system is regularly checked and thoroughly flushed/refilled roughly every 24 months. However, the condition of the coolant should be regularly checked anyway.
- Change your oil. As always, make sure your check and change your oil and oil filter as instructed in your car’s manual. This should be very few thousand miles or more frequently if you drive often, tow a trailer, etc.
- Replace windshield wipers. A dirty windshield is not only unsightly but dangerous. Summer’s dryness and dust can really rack up dirt on your windshield. Make sure you clean your windshield and get worn wiper blades replaced if necessary.